Dear Physics Outreach Community, We are committed to excellence in physics education and community outreach. Please see below for changes to our programing. Sincerely, Donna Hammer, Director of Education
Above all, the University of Maryland, Department of Physics is committed to the health and safety of our community. During the month of July, we are excited to offer a series of 1-day virtual, camp-based workshops! Grounded in our signature summer programs, The Physics of Quidditch and The Amazing Science Discovery Camp, these workshops will feature camper approved themes and hands-on components. Camp workshops will have morning and afternoon sessions. Details and registration links will open March 31st, 2021 and be posted here.
Please note, we are determining whether we will be able to hold our high school camps virtually.
The Outreach Team in the Physics Department wants you to know that we miss seeing you at our Physics is Phun shows and our Discovery Day programs. These events are major highlights of our work, and interacting with the community is something we hold dear. In these challenging times, we are happy to announce that we plan to post DIY-at home activities for you and your family!
We are excited to see all of the remote learning plans being rolled out in our local schools and we are here to help support remote STEM learning in fun and meaningful ways. We hope you enjoy.
To stay informed about upcoming outreach events, join our mailing list.
Physics Activities, Did You Know...?, and Useful Links
2020 State STEM Festival!
UMD Physics Outreach has joined the Fest again this year with a fun virtual/hands-on workshop: Build and test your own Vortex Generator! For information and registration details check out our flyer found here: STEM 2020!
Today's at Home Activity:
Did You Know...
- Did you know the State STEM Festival is having an art contest this summer? K-12 students are welcome to submit artwork with this year's theme: Manufacturing and Design. For more information, please visit HERE.
- Did you know that the first woman to ever perform a spacewalk just became the first woman to reach the deepest point in the ocean?! Click HERE to learn more about the amazing Kathryn D. Sullivan!
- Did you know we are bringing The Amazing Science Discovery Camp to you?! Check out camp activities HERE. The summer camp team will truly miss seeing our one-of-a-kind camp community this summer!
Did you know we are bringing The Physics of Quidditch Summer Camp to you?! Check out camp activities HERE. The summer camp team will truly miss seeing our one-of-a-kind camp community this summer!
- l (Eliot Hammer, Coordinator of Public Engagement) met Paul Jaffe, who works in the Spacecraft Engineering Department at the United States Naval Research Laboratory at our February Physics of Fantastic Worlds show. I was thrilled to learn that Dr. Jaffe and his family enjoyed the show. I was intrigued when he showed me the prototype of a demonstration he had been developing: the LEctenna. The phenomenon that this demo displays is fascinating. I am excited to announce that Dr. Jaffe and his colleagues have officially released the demo! Click HERE to learn more about the demo, HERE to learn how to build it yourself, and HERE to see Astronaut Jessica Meir present and share the LEctenna from space!” Thank you, Dr. Jaffe, I look forward to seeing you and your family at a future show!
- Did you know that the Physics Demonstration Facility in the UMD Department of Physics has over 1500 demonstrations! Our Racing Balls demonstration is a favorite! You can see this demonstration and accept the challenge to predict what will happen when the balls reach the end of the track by clicking here!
Maryland State STEM Festival
National Science Foundation - Physics Classroom Resources
NASA STEM @ Home
M.O.S.T Commons High School Level Textbook Resource
The National Girls Collaborative Project- Register for the CryptoClub Now!
Check out some awesome Physics Simulations!
Mark Rober, former NASA Engineer, creates a world-class birdhouse!
Eliot Hammer, Coordinator of Public Engagment